Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Review: Sauceman's BBQ



Name: Sauceman's BBQ & Grill
Location: Charlotte, NC
Hours: Monday through Thursday: 11am to 6pm
Friday and Saturday: 11am to 9pm
Sunday: Closed (except for Home Panthers Games open 9-2)
Price range: $5-$12 (THE CLARK GRISWALD @$25)
Link: saucemans.com/
There's a local BBQ joint I have heard about but never had the chance to get to. I finally made it in. They've won Pitmasters on Destination America and other BBQ competitions. They are Sauceman's and they serve good BBQ.

On a nondescript corner in Charlotte,  NC is a little BBQ joint with big flavor. Sauceman's  opened in 2010 in Charlotte's South End and people have been talking about it since it opened. I finally had the chance to make it in to try their BBQ. I wasn't disappointed.





They have your standard BBQ joint fare on the menu, chopped pork, ribs, brisket and chicken. They also have turkey and burgers. As every good BBQ place should they offer hushpuppies, brunswick stew and mac n cheese.
My wife and I ordered the chopped pork sandwich with slaw and fried pickles. She had white slaw I had red. The pork was well smoked and seasoned. Like a good BBQ joint they left the bark in with the rest of the meat. The pork was moist and tasty and didn't need sauce to be good.



They had 3 sauces, on the side, that you could add. A mustard sauce called Golden Octane, which was a decent sauce. Their Carolina Dip vinegar sauce. It was an ok vinegar sauce (I like mine with a little sweet in it). And finally the standard red BBQ sauce which was a good sauce. The Golden Octane added just enough extra spice to complement the pork the way I like.



I enjoyed the vinegar red slaw. It had a nice bite to it and good flavor. My wife said the white slaw was good but not great.



I asked if I could try a little piece of their brisket and got a large enough piece to share with my wife. We both agree that it was great. It was very juicy and tender and had the beefy smokey flavor you expect from a brisket.



Sauceman's is a great little joint with big BBQ flavor. It is one of the BBQ restaurants bringing good Q back to the Queen City. I definitely plan to return. On the Gibbs Ribs* scale I give Sauceman's a Full Rack for their BBQ excellence. I can see why they have done well at competitions and won Pitmasters.





*When I do reviews, books or otherwise, I rate the items with ribs (they are my favorite BBQ dish). A full rack is great and a single rib is poor. I will tend to stick to a full rack, half rack or one rib.
Sauceman's on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment